(last updated 8.26.20)
We have an update from BCBS in regards to our plans and online/virtual/telehealth visits along with COVID-19 testing and prescription refills. Employees and dependents covered on medical insurance through Kalamazoo RESA are eligible.
These steps help ensure that our employees and their families have access to the medical care they need without putting unnecessary strain on the health care system and to promote health and safety and reduce infection.
BCBS Blue Cross Online Visits, offer a telehealth service platform, in addition to many providers offering telehealth medical visits.
**Please see the section below in regards to online counseling services.
BCBS is waiving cost sharing for the COVID-19 diagnostic lab testing if it is medically required by a doctor.
Are virtual visits effective in the treatment of COVID-19?
If you feel flu-like symptoms, a virtual visit may assist in confirming if you need to seek follow up in-person care. By using virtual visits, you can receive home and self-care options that can help you avoid crowded doctors’ offices and hospitals where infection may become likely.
What happens if my symptoms look like COVID-19?
Physicians and their care teams that provide virtual visits are trained to screen patients, assign risk, answer questions, and recommend next steps you should take. Many patients are offered advice and steps to heal at home. Should you need follow-up care, the physician or their care team will provide you with the name, address, and location of a clinic.
Early medication refill limits on 30-day prescription maintance medicine is being waived except for opiod drug limits. When requesting an early refill you may receive a notification stating your prescription is delayed. Once your pharmacy fills the prescription you will be notified.
Filling Presciptions through E-Script
Access to E-scripts is available on your BCBSMI online account. E-scripts is a mail delivery and up to a 90 day supply can be delivered to your home.
Options for Counseling Services:
- HelpNet — our employee assistance program offers up to 5 free counseling sessions per issue for you and anyone living under your roof. HelpNet offers these sessions through telephonic/video counseling. (Visit our HelpNet page for more information)
- BCBSMI — If you carry our health insurance you have counseling sessions through your insurance. These sessions may be completed online through the online doctor telephonic/video conferencing. This option will likely have a cost to it. When you go online and make the appointment it will show you the cost of your visit before you proceed. (Visit our online doctor page for more information)
FSA/HSA Eligible Expenses
Over-the-counter drugs and medicines not prescribed by a physician can now be reimbursed pre-tax retro back to 1.1.2020
- Over-the-counter (OTC) treatments containing medicine – cold treatments, ointments, pain relievers, stomach remedies, etc.
- Over-the-counter (OTC) treatments without medicine– bandages, wraps, medical testing devices, etc.
- Menstrual care products are now considered eligible expenses.
- With over 20,000 new eligible expenses it will take a little time for Health Equity along with providers of over the counter medications to update all of the products