Formerly referred to as Cooperative Education or co-op, Work-Based Learning is an opportunity for students to gain on-the-job experience and career skills in a mutually beneficial employer partnership. Through work experience at job sites across the county, students will increase awareness across the broad spectrum of careers and develop critical teamwork skills to help them succeed in the world of work.What are the benefits?
What are the requirements?
- Students may be released from school early to allow more work-time availability
- Earn elective credit toward graduation
- Earn an income, from minimum wage to $15 per hour
- Potential for full-time summer or permanent employment opportunities
- Experience first-hand how education is relevant to the workforce
- Gain work experience in your potential career field
What are the responsibilities?
- Available to 11th and 12th grade students
- Available to work 1-3 class periods or 1-2 blocks and a minimum of 10-15 hours per week
- Successfully complete at least half of a Career & Technical Education (CTE) course
- Previously and concurrently enrolled in a CTE course related to your employment
- Positive CTE instructor recommendation
- Good attendance
"This work-based learning experience gave me the practical skills to pursue a career as a CNC Operator." - Michael, Portage Central High SchoolFor more information and to apply, please contact a Work-Based Learning Coordinator:Scott Wills, Work-Based Learning Coordinator(269) 250-9307 | email@example.comService Area: Comstock High School, Climax-Scotts High School, Galesburg-Augusta High School, Gull Lake High School, Parchment High School, Schoolcraft High School, Vicksburg High SchoolDonny Herber, Work-Based Learning Coordinator(269) 443-7518 | firstname.lastname@example.orgService Area: Kalamazoo Public Schools, Portage Public Schools
- Report to work on-time and as scheduled
- Perform duties above satisfactory
- Complete monthly timesheets with supervisor's signature for verification
- Follow all WBL guidelines as stated in the application packet
- Communicate regularly with WBL Coordinator