A New Vision for Education
We are redesigning Kalamazoo County’s system of career education to offer unique opportunity to students. The new system will address the inequities in the present system and align educators and employers with a shared vision for our region’s prosperity. Together, educators, employers, and community partners must design a system that will promote cross-sector cooperation and address historic inequities, supporting both student and employer success, and leading to a brighter future for the communities of Kalamazoo County.
As our global economy continues to evolve, the way we think of education must adapt along with it. Today, if students are to graduate fully ready for the future, they will need more than a diploma. They will need to be equipped with in-demand skills, experiences and industry recognized credentials that lead to successful employment.
Our Vision is rooted in:
- Providing opportunities for all students to engage in career awareness and exploration throughout their K-12 career.
- Career-focused programming that serves as a complement to, not a departure from, strong academic preparation.
- Intentional, specific supports developed to ensure equitable access to programs for all students.
- A system that diminishes barriers to participation including transportation, site-based obstacles, academic readiness, and obstacles to post-secondary enrollment.
- A system that is flexible to changing economic and education needs, and harnesses the support of local education, business, and community leaders.
- The 21st Century skills of communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and problem solving.
- Our business/education partnerships, which will ensure students are offered the opportunity to earn industry-specific technical skills and earn employer-recognized credentials.
News & Updates
KRESA Career Connect Announces the Launch of Mobile Discovery Lab with the Support of Pfizer and Stryker
Kalamazoo RESA (KRESA)’s Career Connect program, in partnership with local industry leaders Pfizer and Stryker, proudly announces the unveiling of its groundbreaking mobile Discovery Lab.
Kalamazoo RESA (KRESA)’s Career Connect program will host MiCareerQuest Southwest (MCQSW), an immersive career exploration event for students, along with the first accompanying Family Night, at the Kalamazoo Expo Center on Oct. 24, 2023, from 3:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Kalamazoo RESA’s CTE Counselor Sarah Mullard-Dickman Named Michigan’s 2023 School Counselor of the Year
Recently, Kalamazoo RESA’s (KRESA) Career & Technical Education (CTE) Counselor Sarah Mullard-Dickman was presented with the 2023 State School Counselor of the Year Award for the State of Michigan, along with other honored school counselors representing their individual states across the country.
Students enrolled in KRESA’s Career & Technical Education (CTE) Engineering in Wood Technology class at Portage Northern High School recently manufactured the seal to be used on Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s podium for the inauguration on January 1, 2023.