A key component of instruction at the Young Adult Program occurs in the community. Throughout the week, students have opportunities to travel to various community resources, stores, and businesses to apply the skills taught in the classroom.
Students engage in instruction related to:
- planning and using transportation
- consumer spending and shopping skills
- community safety and responding to unexpected situations
- social expectations for various settings
- effective communication with community members and self advocacy
- housing/rental options and tours
- agencies and specialized services
Participating in direct instruction related to a specific skill or activity provides students the foundation for successful practice and application on community based instruction outings.