Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Kalamazoo residents can receive IRS-certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) virtually and for free! Services include preparation for tax years 2020 and 2019 as well as assistance with applying for the economic stimulus payment.
NEW: The tax filing deadline has been extended to May 17, 2021! Volunteer-assisted amendment preparation for those affected by the tax law changes involving unemployment and the Premium Tax Credit repayment will be offered after May 17, 2021. Please check back in mid-April for information on how to schedule an appointment.
Review the below options to select which service is best for you:
Self-preparation Using MyFreeTaxes
- No income limit - free for all
- Supports most tax forms
- Prepare return privately at home
- VITA volunteers available to answer law questions within the program's scope as well as software navigation assistance
- VITA does not have access to return but can help guide when needed
If you select this option and have questions while preparing your own return, please email email@example.com.
In-person Same-Day Drop-Off Appointment
This option consists of two short appointments, typically three hours apart. The first is for document intake and second is for reviewing and signing the completed forms.
- Household income of $57,000 or less
- Disabled or worked in 2020
- Other restrictions may apply
Please call 269-488-7639 to schedule a same-day drop-off appointment.
Remote Preparation by Appointment
- Annual household income of $57,000 or less
- Internet access
- Valid email address
- Access to a camera — phone or computer — and/or access to a scanner
- Ability to upload photo ID, Social Security cards, and other supporting documents to a secure, online drive
Please call 269-488-7639 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a virtual tax preparation appointment.
Please note: The VITA program is unable to help international taxpayers, taxpayers with rental income, or those who have businesses with expenses over $25,000, employees, inventory, or incurred a loss.